Thursday, March 20, 2008

Maundy Thursday / Holy Thursday.......

..Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday is the day when "...Jesus knew that his hour has come". Thus " ..on the night he was betrayed " he held his 'Last Supper" ...he 'broke some bread..said a prayer and handed the pieces to his disciples saying "this is my body..do this in remembrance of me"..then takes a cup of wine , offers another prayer ..."this is my blood...do this in memory of me"..and its been practiced ever since...."I give you a new commandment..love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another". John 15:12

and when supper was ended he rose , laid aside his garments, took a towel poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples feet...and wiped them with a towel...


after he had washed their feet he said to them..."You call me Lord and Master ..If I am your Lord and Master and have washed your feet...you too ought to wash one anothers feet"

Jesus and his disciples then retreated to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray...



Jesus was very..".grieved and distressed" ...before going aside to pray alone he had asked his disciples to "remain here and keep watch with me"

keeping watch at Our Mother of Perpetual Help Church..


..keeping watch at Our Lady of Lourdes Church....

..keeping watch at St Michaels Church

..later that night Jesus is betrayed , arrested and taken away......

and in the UK Queen E attended Maundy Thursday service in Northern Ireland and it was attended by representatives of the "Jewish, Muslim and Hindu faiths"...man is that fantastic or what.....

No comments: